Tesol Method of PE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cho-the useful method in my lesson

Go down

Cho-the useful method in my lesson Empty Cho-the useful method in my lesson

Post  cho Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:50 pm

I think CLT(Communicative Language Teaching) is the main idea which is very useful in my lessons.
There are several reasons why I prefer CLT rather than the others. At first, many ESL children(age of 4~7 years) have limited environment or time to communicate in the target language. It's unlikely that one or two hour lesson per week will induce something more than mere interests in the language. In addition, a lot of mothers are afraid of becoming stimulating communication partners for their children because of their low English level. Therefore, children need to learn authentic expressions so they can practice easily outside of classroom. That's why CLT is very useful in our situation.
For instance, let's say the goal of this week's lesson is to acquire various phrases about morning such as "time to get up", "brush my teeth", "wash my face", "put on my pants", "time to breakfast" and so on. I always try to acquaint mothers with phrases and questions connected to the lesson, so that they can use them when they communicate with their children. Therefore, mothers and children can exercise the phrases together through role playing every morning without their English teachers.
As a result, the child is not just memorizing or mimicking but he/she is simulating continuously with surrounding people who can be anyone(mother, father, sister etc.). Moreover, CLT focuses on the real context, and a child can acquire the target language in a meaningful way. This method keeps children away from complex structures and boring repetition of practices, and enables them to obtain fluent language skills through various everyday activities.
cho
cho

Back to top Go down